Potatoes 25-30 medium
Oil 2 tablespoons + to deep fry
Cottage cheese (paneer), grated 100 grams
Green chillies, seeded and chopped 4-5
Cashewnuts, chopped 10-15
Salt to taste
Ginger, chopped 1 inch piece
Dry mango powder (amchur) ½ teaspoon
Fennel seeds (saunf) 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida a pinch
Onions, grated 2 medium
Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
Tomato puree 2 cups
Fresh coriander leaves, chopped 1 small bunch
curd- 1/2 cup
Fresh cream 2 tablespoons ( optional )
1. Peel and halve the potatoes. Using a spoon scoop out the centres of each half leaving a shell. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry the shells till light golden. Drain and set aside on an absorbent paper.
2. Take cottage cheese in a bowl. Add green chillies, cashewnuts, raisins, salt, ginger, dry ginger powder and mix. Stuff this mixture into the fried potato shells and press firmly. Set aside.
3. For the gravy heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan. Pound fennel seeds and cumin seeds lightly in a mortar with a pestle.
4. Add asafoetida and the pounded spices to the oil and sauté till fragrant. Add grated onions and sauté till golden. Add a little water to avoid scorching.
5. Add ginger paste, turmeric power, tomato puree and sauté till the oil begins to separate.
6. Add one cup of water and bring it to a boil. Add coriander leaves and curd and mix.
7. Gently lower the stuffed potato shells. Add cream. Cover, reduce heat and cook for fifteen minutes. Do not stir just shake the pan lightly occasionally.
8. Serve hot.