- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 packs strawberries
- 4 oranges
- 1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water and sugar to a boil. Cook just until clear, 2 to 3 minutes. Let syrup cool very briefly, then add 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves. Set aside to steep and cool.
- 2. Rinse and hull strawberries and cut them into quarters (or sixths if very large).
- 3. With a small, sharp knife, cut ends off oranges. Set 1 orange cut side down on a cutting board. Following its curve with the knife, slice off peel and white pith. Holding orange over a bowl to catch juice, cut between inner membranes and fruit to release segments; drop segments into bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl and discard membranes. Repeat with remaining oranges.
- 4. Add strawberries to oranges and pour basil syrup over fruit. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.